England's first three matches at Euro 2012 were in Donetsk, a large industrial city in eastern Ukraine. Donetsk has undergone several name changes in its history. Its original name in tsarist times was Yuzovka, Yuz being a Russian or Ukrainian transliteration of the surname Hughes. It was named after John Hughes, a Welsh engineer born in Merthyr Tydfil in 1814. He started his career at Merthyr ironworks and became wealthy over the years. In his mid-fifties he was asked by the tsarist government to build metalworks in what is now Ukraine. Hughes formed a company - the New Russia Company - and decamped to the then Russian empire with his wife and eight children, and about a hundred ironworkers and miners from south Wales. Hughes built factories and ironworks, and also built a railway line leading to them. He built a settlement to house the workers, and within it built schools, a hospital, an Anglican church and other facilities, and it is this settlement that was named (by him) Hughesovka, or Yuzovka. John Hughes died in St Petersburg in 1889. His sons and most of his workers returned to Britain after the 1917 Revolution. Yuzovka was renamed Stalino in 1924, and then Donetsk in 1961, after Stalin had fallen out of favour.
John Hughes was not the only Briton - nor indeed the first - to found a town in Ukraine. Charles Gascoigne, a British engineer founded the city of Luhansk (or Lugansk), not far from Donetsk, in 1795, when he built an iron foundry there.